Friday, March 2, 2012

Red Rockers

When I was a kid, I thought that there wasn't any such thing as rock and roll in Communist countries... but when I started getting into global pop, I found that I was incredibly wrong! Plus I was amazed too... there were astonishing beats in the music, the singers were fantastic (some even sounded much better than American singers), and the music was marvelous. Plus some singers even recorded Western (American or British) pop. However, even if you were a popular singer in a Communist country, you still had to be careful. There was no such thing as a one-hit wonder. You had to have more than one hit and you had to be pretty good in order to be taken seriously by the Communist Party, and you were at their mercy. One wrong move and your career could be over or at least suspended. Here are some gems from some Red Rockers, some of whom who are still remembered in their countries:



No comments:

Post a Comment